Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Essential Trainer Skills (Foundation Diploma)
Course OverviewThis course equips participants with the key trainer competencies necessary to function effectively in a modern work environment.
Module: Essential Trainer Skills
Applications and Selections
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
Our Foundation Diploma's run frequently throughout the year in various locations around Ireland and they include:
- Attendance at workshops (TBC)
- Selected Module
- Submission of an assignment*
*You will be required to complete an assignment for submission to NUI Galway for assessment. The assignment relates to material covered in the modules and emphasises the practical application of this course material to work situations. You will be given written feedback on the assignment.
Applicants typically have appropriate experience in a training or educational organisation and are in a position to undertake assignments and work-based projects relating to practical aspects of training or education.
Entry requirements for part-time students can be found in our FAQs section (i.e. age, english language requirements etc.).
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
Mode of study
Foundation Diploma in Essential Trainer Skills
This course enables you to develop the skills to deliver effective training courses. It is structured to allow you to gain an understanding of adult training and learning principles and to deliver courses that engage adult learners. You will learn how to:
- Analyse training needs
- Design and develop relevant training course materials and content
- Select and adopt engaging training methods to deliver effective training sessions
- Assess learning achievement
- Evaluate the overall effectiveness of a training course
Why Choose This Course?
This course will provide you with a recognised training qualification that can lead to career opportunities in a wide range of areas such as:
- Further education and training sectors
- Voluntary and community-based training organisations
- Human resources and staff development areas of a wide range of organisations
- Private training providers
- Corporate training and professional development sectors
Who’s Suited to This Course
This course is suited to:
- Further education tutors
- Vocational trainers, instructors, tutors
- Educational consultants
- Self-employed trainers
- Those practising or planning a career as a trainer in the educational, industrial, private, voluntary or community sectors
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job-seekers Benefit
- Job-seekers Allowance
- One-parent family allowance
- Disability allowance
- Community Employment Scheme
- Carer’s Allowance
- Signing for social insurance contribution credits
Please download the 2018_19 Fees Scholarship Form for more information.
Find out More
Adult Training and Education Studies
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
Nuns' Island, Galway
Tel: 091 494055