Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Gaeilge agus Léann an Aistriúcháin
In the Léann an Aistriúcháin section of the course, students study the theoretical and practical aspects of translating from one language to another. They will be taught the art of translation, with special emphasis on the Irish language as a target language. The course will also introduce students to the work of a professional translator: this will include introducing students to cutting-edge technology, including computer-assisted translation and subtitling.
Applications and Selections
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
For A-Level: Grade B in A-Level Irish
Next start date
A Level Grades (2018)
Mode of study
- Gnéithe den Aistriúchán (Aspects of Translation)
- Ceartúsáid na Gaeilge (Correct Irish Usage)
- Litríocht Chomhaimseartha na Gaeilge (Contemporary Irish Language Literature)
- Cruinnscríobh agus Aistriúchán (Precision Writing and Translation)
- Bunscileanna Aistriúcháin (Fundemental Translation Skills)
- Saíocht agus Sochaí na Gaeilge (Irish Language Sapience and Society)
- Aistriúchán Feidhmeach Téacsanna I (Applied Translation I)
- An tAistriúchán Ríomhchuidithe (Computer-Assisted Translation)
- Gramadach agus Litriú na Gaeilge I (Irish Language Grammar and Spelling I)
- Teanga na Nua-Ghaeilge I (Modern Irish Language I)
- An Nualitríocht I (Modern Literature I)
- Litríocht na Gaeilge 1200-1900 I (Irish Language Literature 1200-1900 I)
- Aistriúchán Feidhmeach Téacsanna II (Applied Translation II)
- Stair an Aistriúcháin in éirinn (The History of Translation in Ireland)
- Cruinneas agus Saibhriú Teanga (Linguistic Precision and Enrichment)
- Teanga na Nua-Ghaeilge II (Modern Irish Language II)
- An Nualitríocht II (Modern Literature II)
- Teanga agus Pobal I (Language and the Community I)
- Socrúcán Oibre (Internship) or Bliain ag Staidéar Thar Lear (A Year Abroad)
- Aistriúchán Feidhmeach Téacsanna III (Applied Translation III)
- Gramadach agus Litriú na Gaeilge II (Irish Language Grammar and Spelling II)
- Fotheidealú (Subtitling)
- Teanga na Nua-Ghaeilge III (Modern Irish Language III)
- Litríocht na Gaeilge I (Irish Language Literature I)
- Litríocht na Gaeilge 1200-1900 II (Irish Literature 1200-1900 II)
- Téarneolaíocht (Terminology)
- Eagarthóireacht agus Léamh Profaí (Editing and Proofreading)
- Tionscadal (Project)
- Teanga na Nua-Ghaeilge IV (Modern Irish Language IV)
- Litríocht na Gaeilge II (Irish Language Literature II)
- Teanga agus Pobal II (Language and the Community II)
Further EducationAcadamh na hOllscolaíochta Gaeilge offers a Masters degree (MA) in Translation Studies, which is aimed at meeting the rapidy growing demand for professional Irish translators at home and abroad. Courses at Masters level are also taught in Irish, Legal and Legislative Translation and Conference Interpreting. Students who have a research project in mind may also proceed to a PhD programme.
Why Choose This Course?
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student Contribution
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
- Tuition: may be paid by the Irish Government on your behalf if you qualify for free tuition fees see - free fee initiative.
- Student Contribution: €3,000 - payable by all students but may by paid by SUSI if you apply and are deemed eligible for a means tested SUSI grant.
- Student Levy: €224 - payable by all students and is not covered by SUSI.
What Our Students Say
Máirtín ó Donnchadha | Year Two, BA (Gaeilge agus Léann an Aistriúcháin)
...This is a great course; the subjects Léann an Aistriúcháin and Gaeilge work so well together. Studying both subjects gave me a deeper understanding of both disciplines...